After 93 hours spent researching the best cat litter mat, I think BlackHole Dual Structure Cat Litter Mat is the best for most people.
This choice is based on several criteria: brand, type, dimensions, color, material, capacity, durable, washable, waterproof, smell-proof, non-slip back, scratch-proof, soft touch, phtalate-free, and long lasting, among other things.
Overall$48.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022
Mid-Range$35.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022
Inexpensive$34.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022
|Product||Price||Overall Rating||Quality||Durability||Appearance||Maintenance||Value for Money||brand||type||dimensions||color||material||capacity||durable||washable||waterproof||smell-proof||non-slip back||scratch-proof||soft touch||phtalate-free||long lasting|
|BlackHole Dual Structure Cat Litter Mat||$48.99||4.9||5||5||4.5||5||5||BlackHole Litter Mat||Honeycombed||36 x 25 in||Beige, black||Rubber||2 litter boxes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Original Premium Durable Cat Litter Mat||$36.99||4.3||4.5||4||4||4.5||4.5||Gorilla Grip||Loop||47 x 35 in||10 colors||Plastic||2 litter boxes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Waterproof Honeycomb Cat Litter Mat||$35.99||4.8||5||4.5||4.5||5||5||Shopsphera||Honeycombed||27 x 23 in||Black||Rubber||1 litter box||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Jumbo Durable Easy Clean Cat Litter Mat||$34.99||4.6||5||4.5||4||4.5||5||Easyology||Loop||47 x 36 in||Beige, brown, grey||Plastic||2 litter boxes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Smiling Paws Easy Clean Cat Litter Mat||$34.99||4.5||5||4.5||4.5||4||4.5||Smiling Paws Pets||Loop||47 x 36 in||Beige, black, brown, grey||Plastic||2 litter boxes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
The best cat litter mat will keep the area around the litter box as clean as a cat keeps themselves.
As seriously as they take their hygiene, your cat probably wants a litter mat just as badly as you do.
There’s a good chance that your cat doesn’t like its cat leash very much and looks at that cat harness like it’s the cat carrier you trick it into when it’s time for the regular cat flea treatment, or worse, a long trip in the cat cage to the in-laws. It also might not be overly fond of wearing a cat collar indoors.
What your cat loves though, is that the automatic cat feeder makes less noise than the first one when dispensing the cat food. And that the automatic cat litter box is located nowhere near the cat water fountain. There is certainly no doubt that they adore your old soft cashmere shirt in its cat bed, and, of course, the beloved cat toy filled with catnip.
For all the things cats hate and love, how is it that they don’t seem to have a care in the world about tracking cat litter throughout your house?
Cats are mysterious; we may never know, but getting a quality cat litter mat can stop the litter from scattering across your floors.
Table of Contents [show]
Best Cat Litter Mat
Here is a selection of the best cat litter mat for most people according to Catoxy:
BlackHole Dual Structure Cat Litter Mat
Cats and kittens have no problem learning how to use a litter box. The real challenge is keeping the surrounding area clean.
The right kind of cat litter mat will cut down on the litter that you see tracked around the litter box and your home.
No matter how well your kitty litter and litter box are designed, there’s going to be some spillage when all is said and done.
Giving cats a place to wipe off after using the litter box will reduce tracking and keep kittens from ingesting litter accidentally.
A quality mat is going to have a textured surface that encourages loose litter to fall into it and stay there.
Two layers of non-toxic EVA foam rubber are stitched together. The first layer has a unique, honeycomb design that traps the litter.
The BlackHole Dual Structure Cat Litter Mat is one of the best mats to have if you have trouble keeping the litter box area tidy. Its dual structure design dramatically reduces the amount of litter that is tracked through your home on your kitty’s paws.
Two layers of non-toxic EVA foam rubber are stitched together. The first layer has a unique, honeycomb design that traps the litter. The second layer catches the debris once it falls through the top layer, holding the litter until it is disposed of. The stitched sides of the foam rubber layers create a pocket that allows you to shake the litter out from either end.
The honeycomb shaped openings on the BlackHole litter mat are rounded, instead of flat like other mat designs. This makes it very effective at reducing the amount of litter you find in your home, as litter is more inclined to roll over the shape and fall into the holes instead of sitting on top of it.
|brand||BlackHole Litter Mat|
|dimensions||36 x 25 in|
|capacity||2 litter boxes|
A soft surface treats feline feet with care. It is smooth and comfortable making it easy for cats to get in and out of their litter boxes.
Waterproof in case of accidents, it’s extremely easy to wash. Simply clean the mat with soap and water after emptying the litter. It air dries fast in indirect sunlight and is ready to be put back to use.
With an innovative and effective design, a nice look that won’t stand out anywhere in your home and made of quality materials, this BlackHole mat can reduce up to 90% of the litter that inadvertently leaves the box with the cat.
Extremely durable and study, this heavy-duty product will not tear easily.
While completing eliminating litter tracking is impossible, this mat comes pretty close. Its huge size covers a lot of area and it’s perfect for multi-cat households and cats that kick litter out the box. You’ll wish you bought it sooner.
- Clean less often: The time it takes to vacuum and sweep litter up every day adds up. This mat effectively removes litter from cat paws to stop litter tracking throughout your home, reducing the frequency of cleaning the litter box area and your home.
- Can catch any kind of litter: When using this extra-large cat mat, there’s no need to worry about the type of litter you’re using. It will catch crystals, corn, clumping, clay, wheat and even pellets. The smallest, stickiest granules will fall off a feline’s feet.
- Soft on paws while keeping litter trapped: The top layer of this cat mat has comb-shaped openings about 1/4 inch in diameter and features a raised design that keeps trapped litter in place. Cats can step on the mat without picking up litter or feeling rough granules.
- Litter is out of sight until cleaning time: This dual foam cat litter mat not only stops tracking, it hides a huge amount of the litter from view. When spilled litter hits the top layer, it slips through the honeycomb openings and falls to the bottom layer where it stays.
- Quality construction: Extremely durable and study, this heavy-duty product will not tear easily. Both layers are made of high-quality rubber foam that is non-toxic and pet friendly. The honeycomb design presents a nice appearance and the stitching is top notch.
- Litter lasts longer: This double-layer cat litter mat is XL and catches a lot of litter between the two layers. When it’s time to empty it, simply pour the trapped litter back into the litter box. You get more use out of a bag of litter, saving money almost instantly.
Built to last, cat owners will love how effective this product is at trapping litter. Though the Black Hole litter mat will make a tremendous difference in your house, it has its limitations and may not accommodate everyone’s needs.
- Emptying the mat can be tricky: Lifting the mat when it’s full of litter can be difficult because of the openings on both sides. When dumping the litter, there’s very little bend due to the rigid construction. Expect a few spills until you get the hang of it.
- No grip on the bottom: This is not a non-slip mat and can move around when you have active cats. Make sure the litter box is on top of it to keep it in place or place it in a corner where there’s less chance of it moving around.
- Not great for cats that tend to use mats instead of their box: It is waterproof, but not urine-proof and sanitizing the mat as well as removing the smell of cat urine from it is no easy task. The honeycomb pattern also makes it hard to remove all the granules that may be stained with urine.
|BlackHole Dual Structure Cat Litter Mat||Original Premium Durable Cat Litter MatReview||Waterproof Honeycomb Cat Litter MatReview|
|price||$48.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022||$36.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022||$35.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022|
|brand||BlackHole Litter Mat||Gorilla Grip||Shopsphera|
|dimensions||36 x 25 in||47 x 35 in||27 x 23 in|
|color||Beige, black||10 colors||Black|
|capacity||2 litter boxes||2 litter boxes||1 litter box|
Cleanup is easy because you can simply empty the trapped litter back into the litter box or into a nearby trashcan.
Innovatively designed and very effective, the BlackHole Dual Structure Cat Litter Mat is the perfect answer to a cat’s litter box area.
Two layers of foam, a textured top later and smooth bottom, create the dual structure that captures and holds litter. Until you’re ready to empty it, there will be less litter in view as most will be tucked inside the layers. Cleanup is easy, too, because you can simply empty the trapped litter back into the litter box or into a nearby trashcan.
Watch the amount of time you spend cleaning up litter that has been tracked around your house substantially decrease with this cat litter mat.
BlackHole Dual Structure Cat Litter Mat
$48.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022
Every cat owner knows that constantly stepping on cat litter is not a pleasant experience. It’s even worse when it is all over your home.
A cat litter mat is the first line of defense in stopping litter from crunching under your toes.
Ideally, the mat you get will perform more than one function. It will capture debris, neutralize odors, reduce tracking and keep the floor clean.
Despite the seemingly simple construction, all mats are not made equal. You’ll have to choose between various sizes and styles.
A quality mat will result in a cleaner home while a low-quality mat will likely waste your time and money.
This technologically advanced mat has superior, tight mesh and features deep grooves that do a great job at cutting down the amount of litter cats carry away from the box.
You are going to simply love this mat by Gorilla Grip, there’s no question. The Original Premium Durable Cat Litter Mat is the only mat you’ll need to get the area around your kitty box in order, decrease the amount of kitty litter tracked throughout your house and reduce the amount of time you spend cleaning up after your cat every day.
This technologically advanced mat has superior, tight mesh and features deep grooves that do a great job at cutting down the amount of litter cats carry away from the box. The fibers compress slightly underneath the weight of each step a cat takes. With each step, the fibers gently clean cat paws, trapping pesky litter on the mat.
The non-slip backing is a huge thumbs up. This feature is commonly left out of many mats, making them far less effective. A slip-resistant backing means the litter catcher stays steady on any surface. Place this mat on laminate, wood or tile flooring and it will keep your litter box in place.
|dimensions||47 x 35 in|
|capacity||2 litter boxes|
Pet lovers know that their cats’ safety is more important that annoying litter. Gorilla Grip knows this too. That’s why their mat is free from harmful substances like BPA and phthalates. You’ll have no worries about kittens and cats using it.
Great for homes that house multiple felines, its large size (47″ x 35″) can accommodate more than one litter box and covers a large area. For single cat homes, smaller sizes and different shapes, including corner and half-circle options, are also available.
Made from high-quality materials, it is extremely durable, scratch resistant and will not tear easily. Look forward to this Gorilla Grip litter mat lasting a long time.
The thick material of this litter rug is very soft to protect the most sensitive paws.
Though this mat may not have been the first option you thought of, it will be the last one that you need. The superior tracking technology and soft design of the Gorilla Grip mat is quickly making it one of the worst kept secrets on the market.
- Highly effective anti-litter tracking system: Carefully constructed grooves and superior mesh make up the innovative textured top surface. They combine to capture and trap litter stuck to furry paws or kicked out the box. This is one of the litter mats that really works to reduce tracking.
- Safe for cats: Your furry feline deserves the best cat mat. That means getting your kitty a mat that takes their health into consideration. This premium litter trapper is free from phthalates and other harmful toxins. It is completely safe.
- Nice size for multiple cats: Perfect for multiple cats, the size of this large cat litter mat is quite generous, especially at this price point. It is capable of fitting two large litter boxes with enough room for cats to enter, exit and drop excess litter.
- Paw friendly surface encourages use: The best litter mats for cats will not irritate their paws. The thick material of this litter rug is very soft to protect the most sensitive paws. It is comfortable enough for an afternoon nap, which some cats use it for.
- Mat stays in place: The non-slip backing found on this mat is one of the best ways to keep cat litter contained. It keeps the mat from slipping and sliding which prevents debris and litter from being scattered across the floor. The mess stays on the mat.
- Easy to clean: A litter mat that is simple to clean is a winner and this one is very easy to clean. Simply shake it down outside and vacuum the leftover granules. If needed go ahead and hand wash it with soap and water.
This Gorilla Grip product is a litter tracking power house that has the design and performance to get any messy litter situation under control. It has its flaws like any other product, but they haven’t been enough to make it less popular.
- Not waterproof: It cannot protect your floor from urine leaks as it is neither waterproof nor water-resistant. If your kitty tends to have accidents or misses the box regularly, you might want to look for a more accommodating model.
- Be careful with clay litter: It’s not that fresh clumps of clay litter won’t get trapped; it’s that wet clumps get stuck in the looped fabric and are hard to clean out, even with a vacuum.
- Initial chemical order: The mat can have an initial chemical smell that might make cats avoid it after one sniff. Test it out away from your cat first before laying it down in their space. Let it air out for awhile before using it to let the smell completely dissipate.
|Original Premium Durable Cat Litter Mat||BlackHole Dual Structure Cat Litter MatReview||Waterproof Honeycomb Cat Litter MatReview|
|price||$36.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022||$48.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022||$35.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022|
|brand||Gorilla Grip||BlackHole Litter Mat||Shopsphera|
|dimensions||47 x 35 in||36 x 25 in||27 x 23 in|
|color||10 colors||Beige, black||Black|
|capacity||2 litter boxes||2 litter boxes||1 litter box|
This mat is wonderful at capturing and locking in litter. The non-slip backing ensures that the box and any spilled litter stays in place.
The Original Premium Durable Cat Litter Mat by Gorilla Grip is fantastic for its ability to cut down on the amount of litter that inevitably gets scattered throughout your home. Instead of being frustrated by the amount of maintenance it takes to get rid of litter, this mat reduces cleaning altogether.
This mat is wonderful at capturing and locking in litter. The non-slip backing ensures that the box and any spilled litter stays in place. The large size makes it great for two litter boxes and its durable construction can handle chews and scratches.
Surprisingly soft for such a tough cat litter mat, its design drastically reduces litter tracking and is easy to clean.
Original Premium Durable Cat Litter Mat
$36.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022
Waterproof Honeycomb Cat Litter Mat
Cats don’t mean to track litter all over the floors and furniture of your home. After all, they enjoy cleanliness just as much as you do.
A well-designed cat litter mat will clean their paws, reducing the litter outside the box.
Before you buy any litter catching mat, it’s important to make sure it has the right features to do its job properly.
To reduce litter tracking, some of the best mats have dual layers that catch litter, allowing it to slide out when cleaning time comes.
Lower quality mats will only make you wish you had one you researched ahead of time.
Easy to empty, the two layers form a pocket that makes pouring the litter into the garbage a simple process.
How do I keep my cat from tracking litter everywhere? You’re not the only one that’s asked that question. The Waterproof Honeycomb Cat Litter Mat from Shopsphera is the answer. It effectively removes litter from cat’s paws after using the litter box and will catch any excess spillage from felines that like to play around in the box.
Made with neoprene, two layers of rubber make up this dual litter catcher. The first layer has a honeycomb design that is perfect for trapping the kitty litter that remains on cat paws after relieving themselves. The second layer holds the litter so it cannot scatter anywhere else. It stays put, instantly making the surrounding area cleaner.
Easy to empty, the two layers form a pocket that makes pouring the litter into the garbage a simple process. The great thing about this mat is that you can reuse the litter, getting more mileage out of one bag than you’d usually be able to, saving the household money in the long run.
|dimensions||27 x 23 in|
|capacity||1 litter box|
Cleaning is a breeze as well. Once emptied, the mat can be hosed down or vacuumed, then washed in the tub or bathroom sink.
Often times a honeycomb design has raised bumps that can be uncomfortable on sensitive paws, but this mat’s design is flat, soft and comfortable. Designed with a smooth texture, the material and design is cat-friendly, safe for geriatric cats down to little kitties.
Constructed to last a long time, this Shopsphera litter mat comes in two sizes (medium and large) to fit under the litter tray you have, and will make a huge difference for you and the cat in your life.
The edges of this kitty litter mat feature leather construction that keeps urine from leaking all over the floor.
Cat owners make their lives easier and happier by adding this litter mat by Shopsphera to their homes. The advanced technology has a textured design that effectively reduces the amount of time you’ll spend cleaning up behind your cat.
- No more mess to clean: With this double layer cat litter mat your time spent cleaning will be cut in half. The honeycomb design captures excess litter which then falls through to the second layer. And you can choose the medium or large size so it fits the box with space leftover giving cats room to walk, catching even more litter.
- Cats won’t avoid it: The best non-tracking cat litter mat is one cats don’t mind stepping on. Softer than most others found on the market, thanks to the neoprene material, and thick, it is very comfortable for the most sensitive kitty’s paws. They may even lay on it.
- Easy to empty: When it’s time to dump this Shopsphera litter catcher mat, you’ll have no problem. It is lightweight and easy to pick up to shake the litter out. The flexible bottom layer makes it easy to direct excess granules exactly where you want them to go.
- Accidents are covered: The edges of this kitty litter mat feature leather construction that keeps urine from leaking all over the floor. There’s no need to worry about the smell lasting after you’ve cleaned it either because the EVA foam is smell proof.
- Slip resistant: It’s important for a litter map to have enough grip to prevent slipping or tripping. This Shopsphera mat won’t skid on any surface you place it on, reducing the chances of litter scattering everywhere.
- Well made: The rubber material is durable, the leather doesn’t fray and the mat remains effective after repeated use. Place this underneath or beside the litter box of the messiest cats and it will be able to hold up for a long time.
With a great design that catches most litter, reducing the time spent removing granules from every room, there’s very little this mat does wrong. The small minor issues are not going to dissuade many from giving it a try.
- Be careful dumping litter: One thing to be mindful of when removing litter captured in the mat is how you hold it. Try to keep it fairly level because the top layer is open and litter will fall out if you tip it when picking it up.
- Vacuums can’t get everything out: Like many mats that utilize the honeycomb design, gunk can hide in the holes and suction won’t be able to remove it. You’ll have to give it a thorough cleaning with soap and water depending on the type of litter you use.
- Not ready to go out of the box: When first removed out of the box, some customers find that it doesn’t lay flat right away and has a rubber smell. Just give it some time, however. In a few days it will lay flat and the smell will disappear.
|Waterproof Honeycomb Cat Litter Mat||BlackHole Dual Structure Cat Litter MatReview||Original Premium Durable Cat Litter MatReview|
|price||$35.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022||$48.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022||$36.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022|
|brand||Shopsphera||BlackHole Litter Mat||Gorilla Grip|
|dimensions||27 x 23 in||36 x 25 in||47 x 35 in|
|color||Black||Beige, black||10 colors|
|capacity||1 litter box||2 litter boxes||2 litter boxes|
What makes this one of the top rubber cat mats is the comfort it provides a cat’s feet.
For serious scatter control, cat owners choose the Waterproof Honeycomb Cat Litter Mat. This Shopsphera mat tackles the problem of litter tracking with advanced construction in order to keep your house cleaner and more hygienic.
What makes this one of the top rubber cat mats is the comfort it provides a cat’s feet. It makes them want to step on it, getting a lot of litter trapped inside the layers of the mat instead of on your floors. As long as it is cleaned regularly, you can avoid gunk buildup.
Get rid of the annoying, crunchy granules underneath your feet and walk through your house barefoot again when you get this cat litter mat.
Waterproof Honeycomb Cat Litter Mat
$35.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022
Jumbo Durable Easy Clean Cat Litter Mat
No one likes stepping on gritty kitty litter scattered all over the house. Unfortunately that is what happens without a proper cat litter mat.
The right one can improve the cleanliness and hygiene of your home overnight.
Some cats are prone to dragging litter through every room of the house, but a litter trapping mat will reduce that.
These mats are made out of materials made to feel soft on kitty paws while locking in any excess litter that finds its way out of the box.
Place it at the entrance of their box to avoid frequent cleaning and enjoy less stress.
Made out of very durable materials, the deep grooves trap every kind of debris that may get stuck to the paws of your furry friend.
Even if you invest in cat litter that doesn’t stick to paws, you’ll find it’s nearly impossible to keep it from finding its way out of the box and scattering about your home. Enter the Jumbo Durable Easy Clean Cat Litter Mat. No matter what kind of litter you have, this mat by Easyology is going to lock it in place and keep it from finding its way to any place other than next to the litter box.
Made out of very durable materials, the deep grooves trap every kind of debris that may get stuck to the paws of your furry friend. This keeps the bulk of the litter from ever leaving the mat. It successfully traps various types of litter of different sizes, including regular, pine and crystals.
Covering a large surface area, the mat is ideal for use by multiple cats. They will have plenty of room to drop pieces of litter into the mat without feeling crowded.
|dimensions||47 x 36 in|
|color||Beige, brown, grey|
|capacity||2 litter boxes|
Cats that love to scratch and bite were clearly in the designer’s mind when they created this mat. Made from extra-large and extra thick PVC material, it won’t tear. The water-resistant material makes it easy to hose down and its light weight makes it easy to carry and shake out.
The woven fibers not only clean paws, they also feel good and are soft to the touch. If you have a cat with sensitive paws, this mat will cause no irritation.
Heavy-duty, safe and surprisingly decorative, this tough litter catching mat does its job to keep your home more sanitary and easier to maintain.
The grooves and material make it look like a decorative carpet.
Don’t be fooled by the look of this Easyology mat, it is a heavy-duty litter catcher that is resistant to cat claws and tough enough to handle endless washing. Cat owners who see no reason to sacrifice style or functionality will enjoy this mat.
- Effectively traps debris: The patented design of this Easyology cat mat features deep grooves and high quality mesh that capture litter and everything else very well. The slightly curved sides do a great job at controlling litter from spreading anywhere outside the mat.
- Doesn’t irritate cat paws: Cat mats for litter boxes must be approved by your cat, otherwise they’ll stop using the box. Cats won’t avoid stepping on this mat. The texture is soft to the touch and claws won’t get stuck in the fabric.
- Works for multiple cats: This Easyology jumbo cat litter mat is truly jumbo in size! It can easily fit underneath two litter boxes with enough lead room to give cats a chance to get the extra litter off their paws as they exit the box.
- Anti-skid protection: Designed with natural rubber backing, it is one of the few kitty litter tracking mats that has built in slip resistance. Dive-bombing cats won’t move it and there’s less of a chance anyone in the family will trip over it.
- Attractive design: The grooves and material make it look like a decorative carpet. More of a litter catching rug than a mat, it wouldn’t look out of place with a coffee table sitting on top of it as opposed to a litter box.
- Safe for the whole family: The materials used to make this mat are BPA-free as well as phthalate-free. This means that it is non-toxic for your family and the cat. Considering how often cats lick their paws, you don’t want anything toxic touching their paws.
This Easyology litter rug has a lot going for it, including its surprising good looks. But everyone may not care how good the mat looks, especially if it’s out of sight most of the time anyway. The lowlights of this product are few, though, and probably aren’t enough to outweigh how effective it is at catching litter.
- Not really waterproof: Though it says waterproof, this mat is closer to water-resistant as it does not absorb the little accidents of your feline, but it will protect your floor. If your kitty doesn’t always hit the target, you may want something else.
- Cleaning can be a hassle: Due to its rather large size, and the fact that stray litter, dried bits of feces and other debris stick to it. A good vacuuming is not going to be enough; it has to be washed or hosed off frequently.
- Not odor resistant: Highly effective, it catches everything, which would be no problem if it had deodorizing properties. If the mat is not properly cleaned frequently, it will start to give out a really bad smell. This may be inconvenient if you don’t have much time.
|Jumbo Durable Easy Clean Cat Litter Mat||BlackHole Dual Structure Cat Litter MatReview||Original Premium Durable Cat Litter MatReview|
|price||$34.99Updated Sep. 27, 2022||$48.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022||$36.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022|
|brand||Easyology||BlackHole Litter Mat||Gorilla Grip|
|dimensions||47 x 36 in||36 x 25 in||47 x 35 in|
|color||Beige, brown, grey||Beige, black||10 colors|
|capacity||2 litter boxes||2 litter boxes||2 litter boxes|
The charming design can fit into any home that wants to add some appeal to the litter box area.
For cat owners who are ready to get their litter tracking problems taken care of once and for all, the Jumbo Durable Easy Clean Cat Litter Mat is an excellent choice. The large size makes it perfect for the cat that can’t help cause a mess or for multi-cat homes.
The charming design can fit into any home that wants to add some appeal to the litter box area. Effective at catching debris, the patented design greatly reduces the amount of litter you find around the house.
Made with longevity in mind, this cat litter mat from Easyology is a keeper. If you’re tired of the crunch of litter under your feet, give it a try.
Jumbo Durable Easy Clean Cat Litter Mat
$34.99Updated Sep. 27, 2022
Smiling Paws Easy Clean Cat Litter Mat
Keeping litter inside the cat litter box isn’t an easy task. It attaches to cat paws and can end up in every room in your home.
A good cat litter mat will change that, keeping cat litter from rooms it doesn’t belong.
Some cats tend to do a lot of walking after they’ve finished using the litter box. This can leave sticky granules all over the place.
Getting a mat will clean their paws, ensuring that the litter, germs and bacteria are not tracked throughout your home.
A mat with a proper size and design is vital to successfully control litter and keep it contained.
The fiber construction is designed to lock litter in place when a cat steps on the surface or when litter is flicked out of the box.
The Smiling Paws Easy Clean Cat Litter Mat will certainly put a smile on your face. It is extremely functional, sure, but you won’t be able to resist the cute kitty logo in the corner.
Constructed of vinyl, the underside has a smooth texture while the top side has tightly coiled loops, similar to a woven-like texture. The texture is squishy and feels quite nice on the human bare foot, so you can imagine how good it feels for your cat to walk on. This is one mat they will not avoid on the way to the litter box.
The fiber construction is designed to lock litter in place when a cat steps on the surface or when litter is flicked out of the box. This keeps debris contained and reduces the amount of scatter that ends up on your floors. It also reduces the amount of maintenance needed, giving you some time back. You’ll even see the litter sit on the surface, before settling into the fibers!
|brand||Smiling Paws Pets|
|dimensions||47 x 36 in|
|color||Beige, black, brown, grey|
|capacity||2 litter boxes|
One premium mat, it its heavy duty because of the commercial grade vinyl used. It will not crack or tear like the lightweight mats most cat owners are used to.
When cleaning is necessary, there are a variety of ways to choose from. You can use a vacuum, shake it outside or pat the litter off by hand. It can also be beaten like a throw rug to push deeply embedded granules out of their hiding places.
Capable of catching much more litter than other brands, this cute Smiling Paws litter mat is no joke when it comes to stopping litter in its tracks.
The bottom has a super-grip coating that guarantees the cat litter trapper mat will firmly stay in place, providing stability for both the litter box and your cat.
It’s hard to find cat mats and rugs that are this cute. With the adorable logo as one of its favorite features, Smiling Paws has created a mat that can turn a messy kitty litter box space into a well-maintained area.
- Substantially reduces tracking: Truly one of the best litter mats to prevent tracking, its patented catcher technology has been tested and proven to trap over 80% of the excess litter from cats’ paws. Your home will be cleaner and more sanitary with less litter tracking.
- Resistant to odors: If your cat accidentally (or purposefully) misses the litter box, only a simple cleaning is needed to make this litter mat like new again. It will not hold the smell of cat urine or trap any odors like many other models will.
- Functional for multiple cats: Cover more and clean less with this jumbo cat litter mat. Measuring 47 inches by 33 inches, it can easily fit two litter boxes. Depending on the size of the litter boxes, you can actually fit up to four. It will keep a hectic multi-cat household much cleaner.
- Non-slip backing: The bottom has a super-grip coating that guarantees the cat litter trapper mat will firmly stay in place, providing stability for both the litter box and your cat. The grip coating also reduces accidents that happen due to sudden movements.
- Safety is first: Smiling Paws takes the health and safety of your entire household seriously. Approved by veterinarians, this non-toxic litter mat is free of BPA and phthalates. In addition, the commercial-grade vinyl used contains no fire retardants or other harmful chemicals.
- Paw-friendly: Made of vinyl, the loops on the mat surface are actually very soft to the touch, making for a comfortable walking experience for any cat. Comfort is a key to getting your kitty to use their litter catching mat.
If there ever was a logo competition in the litter catching mat world, Smiling Paws would be the winner hands down. Regarding some of its more important areas, however, this mat has some issues that may not be ideal for certain cat owners.
- Doesn’t resist or release stains well: It may be designed to resist odors, but not stains. Owners of cats with irritable bowels or that have accidents on the mat may need a different option. The stains are hard to very hard to remove from the trapping fabric.
- May not be the best for apartments: Cleaning the litter and other debris out of this mat with a vacuum isn’t easy. For effective cleaning, it needs to be shaken out, if not beaten loose first. For those without the outside space, the task may be too much.
- Initial unpleasant smell: Upon arrival there may be a smell that comes along with your new litter mat. Don’t fret; it’s a mild smell that goes away after a few days. If left outside for a few hours, the smell will disappear.
|Smiling Paws Easy Clean Cat Litter Mat||BlackHole Dual Structure Cat Litter MatReview||Original Premium Durable Cat Litter MatReview|
|price||$34.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022||$48.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022||$36.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022|
|brand||Smiling Paws Pets||BlackHole Litter Mat||Gorilla Grip|
|dimensions||47 x 36 in||36 x 25 in||47 x 35 in|
|color||Beige, black, brown, grey||Beige, black||10 colors|
|capacity||2 litter boxes||2 litter boxes||2 litter boxes|
Its large size is useful in homes with more than one cat; you can use one mat to cover a large area, reducing mess affordably.
When you need to get scattered litter in your home under control, the Smiling Paws Easy Clean Cat Litter Mat will come to your rescue. Tested and certified to trap more litter, more effectively, you are guaranteed to see less litter in your home, making daily cleaning a thing of the past.
Its large size is useful in homes with more than one cat; you can use one mat to cover a large area, reducing mess affordably. Made from safe, high-quality materials, it is durable and approved by vets. Cats love its squishy, soft texture, too.
If you’re in need of a highly efficient cat litter mat, this is the one to trust.
Smiling Paws Easy Clean Cat Litter Mat
$34.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022
Effectiveness at Trapping Litter
No matter how cute it is, there’s absolutely no point of having a cat litter trapper mat if granules of kitty litter are still going to be tracked around the house.
A good mat or rug will effectively reduce the amount of litter in your home by trapping the cat litter, instead of letting it sit on top of paper or an old towel. All mats have a way of doing this based on mesh, holes or grooves. Just make sure it works.
Cat mats are going to be underneath a cat litter box, so being able to withstand frequent use and mess is a must. A double layer cat litter mat will hold up longer and is less likely to smell horrible or get badly stained.
Check the quality of a mat’s construction, the seam integrity and any accessories to see how likely it is that it will be able to hold up to abuse. Also make sure it can withstand your kitty’s claws.
Comfortable on the Paws
Every cat owner knows that cats can be fussy about what they decide to walk on. If a cat isn’t fond of the way a mat feels, they will simply leap over it and spread litter over the floor surface.
A good mat will be gentle on your cat’s paws. The softer it is, the more likely your cat will use it. Press a mat with your palm; if it is uncomfortable to you, there’s a good chance your kitty won’t care for it either.
A litter box isn’t exactly the best smelling area of your house, so don’t expect the mat under it to fare too well either. The best cat litter mat won’t make the smell any worse.
You don’t want to get a mat made of material that gives off a weird smell or one that can’t handle the kitty litter debris and waste that will make its way onto it. Look for those that are able to trap odors, helping the area to stay fresher.
A litter mat that is of good quality will be waterproof. Though there are few mats claiming to be 100% waterproof, the one you get should be able to contain moisture well. You may want a fully waterproof one if your cat or kitten urinates on the mat instead of using the box every now and then.
It is also nice to have a waterproof mat to keep accidents from reaching the floor, and it’s especially useful if you have laminate or hardwood floors.
How Easy is it to Clean?
You’re going to have to clean mats for them to continually work well and reduce debris and smells. The best cat litter mat to clean has two layers that allow you to easily slide litter out.
If you live in an apartment, opt for a machine-washable mat or one that can be vacuumed; one that needs to be shaken may not be the best. Some may require a spray with a hose and lower quality ones may have to be cleaned by hand. Choose wisely.
Non-slip mats also keep you and your cat safer, especially if you have floors that aren’t carpeted. Making sure your mat has the right amount of grip on the bottom is important because it will help to prevent accidents.
This is especially important because the litter box is going to be placed on top of the mat. A trip or slip can easily leave litter and the contents of the box scattered on the floor. Kick it around to see how easily it moves.
Size of Litter Mat
The size of your litter mat matters. Typically, bigger options are better if your cat walks a lot after using their litter box, but also the more steps your cat takes, the more litter the mat can catch.
If it’s too small, litter won’t be caught from all sides of the box. An oversized cat litter mat may be an eyesore, tripping hazard or get caught on doors and surfaces. Ideally, the mat will extend 6 to 10 inches from each side of the box.
Shape and Design
If your cat prefers moving sideways out of the litter box, a rounder, wider mat is a good choice. For most cats a corner mat does the job.
When it comes to the color, this is always going to be a personal choice, but it’s an important one nonetheless. If you want something that blends in and is barely noticeable, get a dark color. Mats have so many colors. The best one will be the mat that you enjoy (or don’t hate) looking at every day.
Rubber and PVC are the two main materials used. Rubber cat mats are good at locking in odors and need less maintenance, but are usually pricier and are not that appealing on the eye.
PVC mats can be found in a wide range of designs and are more affordable, but you have to do more to maintain them and unfortunately they attract odors. If your cat often leaves behind sticky poops on the mat, a silicone cat litter mat is the right choice.
How Easily Can You Move It?
If you have multiple cats, getting a jumbo cat litter mat seems like a good idea. You can put two litter boxes on top, but what about when it’s time to clean it?
Larger mats can be unwieldy, and too difficult to move around when necessary. If you intend on shaking a mat off or hosing it down, make sure you can easily lift it. If not, it may be more practical to get two or three smaller mats instead.
Type of Litter
There are a variety of litters to choose from these days. Some owners have success with crystals, others prefer clumping clay and still, others may use wheat or walnut shells.
The best non tracking cat litter will still end up on the floor if the mat you have doesn’t work well with it. Make sure that you check the holes, grooves or mesh in the mat of your choice to ensure it will work with the type of litter your cat uses.
Safe for Your Cat
It’s important to make sure your litter rug doesn’t have fibers that will snag your kitten’s claws, which can be painful and annoying. Try to find a non-toxic litter mat, typically advertised as phthalate or BPA free. These are safer for the cat as well as the environment.
Getting a mat that has antibacterial properties keeps dangerous bacteria from spreading throughout your home. If your cat (or anyone in the household) has allergies, a hypoallergenic mat keeps everyone happy.
Yes there is such a thing as disposable cat litter mats! They are not common, and may cost more money in the long run, but if the thought of cleaning a litter mat in any kind of way is upsetting to you, disposable mats are your best bet.
One can last about two weeks depending on the cat’s bathroom hygiene and then be simply tossed out. They can also be doubled, halved or used as a litter box instead of a mat.
Price & Reputation
A good litter mat is worth paying for. It should last you a long time, but it’s important to make sure it has reviews so you know what to expect. Check real reviews that have pros and cons and be upfront about what you are willing to deal with and what is a deal breaker.
The best cat litter mat is going to be the one that your cat loves to walk on while reducing the amount of litter you see on a given day.
My pick for best cat litter mat is: BlackHole Dual Structure Cat Litter Mat. This choice was made after 93 hours of research.$48.99Updated Sep. 28, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use anything else besides a litter mat for my cat to step on?
A litter mat alternative, while certainly feasible, isn’t necessarily phthalate or BPA-free and is usually not made of pet friendly materials. Cat owners have used yoga mats, doormats and even shelf liners, but they either protect floors but don’t grip well, or grip litter well but are too rough on a cat’s paws.
It will be hard to find a homemade option that is easy to clean, nonslip and soft. Do your cat (and home) a favor and buy a mat specifically designed for the purpose.
How should my mat be positioned?
In a perfect world, the litter mat should only be at the entrance and exit of the litter box. All trays aren’t made that way, and all cats don’t move the same way, so it’s best to get a litter tray mat that can fit around the entire tray.
To ensure that the cat doesn’t bypass the mat, get one that extends 6-10 inches beyond the tray in every direction. This is the best way to collect debris from the litter box.
Are mats immune to my cat scratching them up?
Ah wishful thinking! There is nothing in your home that is immune to the scratches of a cat. However, by choosing the right material, you can reduce your cat’s desire to scratch up their mat. Cats don’t want to scratch a softer mat because it doesn’t catch their claws, which is why they scratch.
There are also mats available that catch litter and double as a cat scratching pad. This may be the only solution for scratch-obsessed cats.
Why are mats that include BPA and phthalates unsafe for my cat?
BPA is commonly used in plastics and is known for leaving tiny particles behind that can be ingested. Though the results of ingesting BPA over time are not fully known, it is known that BPA is toxic, so avoiding it is best.
Phthalates are used to make plastics harder to break and more flexible, but they are also quite dangerous. Studies have shown that they cause respiratory paralysis and reproductive issues in animals. Make sure that anything you purchase for your cat is free of both.
How do you clean a mat that is not machine washable?
You’ll have to clean them by hand, but there are a number of ways to go about this. Some people have had a lot of success by hosing them down or running them under the faucet in the bathtub. Remember that it may be contaminated with feces containing harmful bacteria so avoid the kitchen and any place you prepare food.
If a mat is soiled, use warm water and a mild detergent. Silicone mats can easily be wiped off with damp tissue paper.